How to Simplify Flying with an iPad Mini
As technology continues to advance, all aspects of flying have become easier. Gone are the days when you couldn’t see the latest up to date weather report in real-time, or had to use paper charts. Now, you have all of the information you need to fly safely on an iPad.
There is no need to upgrade your plane or equipment when you can simply purchase an iPad mini and download all of the applications that you’ll need. This portable tablet provides insights that you never would have had before. Load applications such as ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot onto the iPad to improve your flight.
Flying is simpler than ever with this advantage.
The problem with using an iPad mini during flight is determining where to put it. Of course, you can’t hold it in your hand during the entire flight. You certainly can’t lay it on the passenger seat and hope you can still see the screen.
If you don’t have a co-pilot or passenger who is willing to hold it and relay the information, figuring out a place to mount it can be a challenge.
There are a number of products available that can solve this problem. Depending on the type of airplane you fly or your personal preference, you can easily find a product that suits you.
Here a few options to explore:
This option allows you to keep the device on your lap without worrying about it falling or hindering your ability to fly safely.
- Your instrument panel and windows are not blocked by the iPad.
- The yoke may hit the device.
- You have to look down to see the iPad taking your eyes off the panel and the windows to see the surroundings of your aircraft.
Glare Shield Mount Kit
With this product, you can mount your iPad on the glare shield.
- The device is readily visible as you scan your instruments and look out the windshield.
- The device may obstruct portions of the instrument panel and windshield.
Suction Cup Mount Kit
This enables you to mount the iPad on the windshield or the side windows.
- Similar to the glare shield, the device does not inhibit the movement of the yoke.
- Also is within your line of sight.
- Obstructs a portion of the windshield. The extent depends on where you mount it either the side of the windshield or side window.
Yoke Mount Kit
This allows you to mount the iPad on the yoke. Again, allowing you to view the iPad screen without looking down or to the side.
- The device is positioned in front of you without disrupting your view of the windshield or instrument panel. Less need to move your eyes away from your typical scan of your surroundings and aircraft controls when you look at the device.
- Mounts securely.
- May impede the movement of the yoke.
Similar to the leg strap this allows you to hold the device on your lap while flying.
- Allows for unobstructed view of the windshield and your instruments.
- The yoke may hit the device impeding your ability to fly safely.
Allows for cooling and ventilation which keep the iPad temperature from rising.
- Prevents iPad from overheating during flight which could prevent you from using it.
- Potential to be bulky impeding your ability to move.
Using this information, you can determine which product is best suited for you. Stay aware of traffic, weather, location, and more key information by using an iPad Mini during your flight.
- PilotMall.com Editor