Air show season has officially arrived and it is almost time to head to Lakeland, Florida for the annual SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo. Here’s what you need to know as you prepare to experience the second largest aerospace convention in the world.
Aerospace Expo Fast Facts
- What: SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo
- When: April 13-18, 2021
- Where: SUN ‘n FUN Expo Campus, 4175 Medulla Road, Lakeland, FL 33811
- Tickets: Weekly and daily tickets available directly from SUN ‘n FUN
- Schedule: Parking lot gates open at 7 am and admission gates open at 8 am. A detailed SUN ‘n FUN daily schedule is posted on the official event website.
Tickets can be purchased in advance online or at the in-person ticket window during the event. Attendees can choose from single-day or weekly ticket options.
- Daily ticket rates: $45 for adults, $20 for youth ages 7-17, and free for children age 6 and under
- Weekly ticket rates: $170 for adults, $70 for youth ages 7-17, and free for children age 6 and under
Discounted rates are available for Florida residents, certified pilots, Members of Florida Air Museum, selected aviation membership organizations, and active or retired U.S. military. Verify discounted rates and obtain discount codes from your organization. Remember to bring proof of current membership when redeeming online tickets or purchasing reduced price admission onsite.
If you want to camp on the Expo grounds, check campground rates. You can purchase a package ticket that includes both Expo admission and a camping permit or you can opt for separate camping and admission passes.
How to Get to the Show
Whether you are flying in, bringing a camper, or simply driving in for the day, there are many ways to enjoy the SUN ‘n FUN experience. Fly-In Directions provide pilots links to relevant NOTAMs and guidance on the field’s ATIS frequency as well as aerobatic performance and airshow-related airport closure timeframes.
Visitors who are driving to the event can find detailed driving information with directions to the airfield and instructions on how to access parking areas. Specific camper driving directions and registration information are also provided for those overnight guests who will be staying onsite in their campers. Note that camper guests will access the campus from Drane Field Road using the following address: 3901 Kelvin Howard Rd., Lakeland, FL 33811.
What to See and Do
New visitors to SUN ‘n FUN will be in for a treat as they experience airshows, forums, workshops, seminars, static aircraft displays, and museum lectures. Your ticket also includes free admission to the Florida Air Museum.
What to Pack
Weather in Florida can be unpredictable in April. Dress casually and comfortably. Layer your gear for cool mornings and evenings as well as hot daytime temps. Remember to plan for both sun and rain.
Here is what we recommend:
- Lip balm
- Hat or cap (preferably one that is snug fitting or has a lanyard to help hold it on)
- Rain poncho
- Lightweight long-sleeve shirt to block the sun
- Handheld radio
- Cell phone
- Portable battery charger
- Hand sanitizer
- Face mask
- Camp chair
- Comfortable closed-toe shoes for lots of walking
- Earplugs or other ear protection
What to Leave at Home
The following items are prohibited on the SUN ‘n FUN campus:
- Bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades, two-wheeled scooters
- Fireworks, explosives or explosive devices, and inflammables
- Alcohol or alcoholic beverages
- Controlled substances
- Destructive devices
- Pets other than ADA recognized service animals
- All remotely controlled devices including aircraft and drones
The SUN ‘n FUN Expo Campus is following CDC, Florida Department of Health, and Polk Department of Health guidelines for COVID-19. The campus has increased maintenance frequency and is providing hand sanitizer at events. If you are feeling unwell, please stay home and do not attend the event.
Face masks will be required in all indoor areas along with outdoor areas such as exhibit hangars, ticket queues, enclosed tents, and guest shuttles where 6-foot social distancing guidelines cannot be adhered to. Guests are requested to bring their own face masks, though SUN ‘n FUN will also provide access to masks as needed.